Watson Island has an important history of usage. In 1932 it was considered for A World’s Fair and Pan-American Exposition, since 1949 it is the home Miami Oatboard Club and Marina. A public boat slip and a helipad are proposed there.
For 2014 it is scheduled for completion a tunel wich will connect Watson Island with Dodge Island, one of the largest cruise ship and cargo ports in the world.
The Competition jury included the following members:
– Jean Francois Lejeune, Graduate director, University of Miami School of Architecture
– Dennis Scholl, VP/ art +Miami program director at the John S and James L Knight foundation
– Charles Kropke, Owner of Chalks International Airways
– Erick Goldemberg, Principal, MONAD Studio and FIU Architecture Professor
– Javier Betancourt, Deputy Director of the Miami Downtown Development Authority
– Francisco Garcia Iglesias, Director of Planning for the City of Miami
You can see the original story HERE.
Written by Eusebiu Golumbeanu
And here are the winners of the contest: