From 1959 onward he concentrated on sculpture built entirely of crushed automobile parts welded together.
Acclaimed in the ’60’s, Chamberlains works were exibitetd from the beginning in museums and art galleries such as the Museum of Modern Art in new York, the Sao Paulo Biennal, the Vennice Biennal, Leo Costelli Gallery in New York or The Guggenheim Museum in 1971. By 1987 his works have been represented by The Pace Gallery.
Beginning with1963 and until 1965, he made geometric paintings with sprayed automobile paint.
In 1993 John Chamberlain received the Skowhegan Medal for Sculpture from The Showhegan School of Painting and Sculpture and a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowshiop in 1966 and 1977.
Written by Eusebiu Golumbeanu